High Energy Astrophysics Division
The AAS High Energy Astrophysics Division (HEAD) assists and promotes the advancement of research and the dissemination of knowledge about high energy events, particles, quanta, relativistic gravitational fields, and related phenomena in the astrophysical universe. HEAD also promotes the coordination of this research and knowledge with other branches of science. The division holds Division Meetings every 18 months, as well as sessions within the meetings of the American Astronomical Society. Each year, HEAD awards the Rossi Prize for recent original research in High Energy Astrophysics. At each Division Meeting, HEAD announces the Schramm Award for High Energy Astrophysics Science Journalism, the Mid-Career Prize, and the Dissertation Prize. The electronic HEAD Newsletter is published twice yearly. HEAD membership information is managed within the AAS database at AAS Member Directory.
Items of Current Interest:
- There will be a special HEAD meeting in Chicago from June 30 - July 1, 2015 to allow the HEAD community to discuss possible large mission and probe concepts for the next Decadal Survey.
- The 2015 Rossi Prize winner is Professor Fiona Harrison from the California Institute of Technology
- Dutch freelance astronomy writer Govert Schilling was selected as the winner of the 2014 David N. Schramm award
- The 2014 HEAD Dissertation Prize was awarded to Reinout J. Van Weeren for this thesis entitled "Radio emission from merging galaxy clusters: characterizing shocks, magnetic fields and particle acceleration."
- Have a picture relevant to high-energy astrophysics you'd like to see on the HEAD page? Contact the webmaster to submit with an image and short description.