High Energy Astrophysics Division
The AAS High Energy Astrophysics Division (HEAD) assists and promotes the advancement of research and the dissemination of knowledge about high energy events, particles, quanta, relativistic gravitational fields, and related phenomena in the astrophysical universe. HEAD also promotes the coordination of this research and knowledge with other branches of science. The division holds Division Meetings every 18 months, as well as sessions within the meetings of the American Astronomical Society. Each year, HEAD awards the Rossi Prize for recent original research in High Energy Astrophysics. At each Division Meeting, HEAD announces the Schramm Award for High Energy Astrophysics Science Journalism, the Mid-Career Prize, and the Dissertation Prize. The electronic HEAD Newsletter is published twice yearly. HEAD membership information is managed within the AAS database at AAS Member Directory.
Items of Interest:
- Dr. Fiona Harrison has been awarded the 2016 COSPAR Harrie Massey Award, awarded by the Committee on Space Research, for "outstanding contributions to the development of space research in which a leadership role is of particular importance"
- The latest HEAD newsletter is available.
- Dr. Phil Plait has been awarded the 2016 David N. Schramm award from the High Energy Astrophysics Division (HEAD) of the American Astronomical Society (AAS). The winning article is entitled “A Supermassive Black Hole’s Fiery and Furious Wind” and appeared on Slate.com on February 25, 2015.
- Former HEAD Chair Professor Roger Blandford has been awarded the 2016 Crafoord Prize for Astronomy in company with Professor Roy Kerr "for fundamental work concerning rotating black holes and their astrophysical consequences".
- New HEAD Executive Committee member Professor Laura Lopez is the recipient of the 2016 Annie Jump Cannon Award.
- The following HEAD prizes were announced at the business meeting on January 6th, 2016: the Dissertation Prize will go to Dr. Ashley King; the first Mid-Career Prize to Professor Sebastian Heinz; and the Rossi Prize to Professor Niel Brandt. Dr King and Professor Heinz gaive their prize lectures at the HEAD Divisional meeting in Naples, FL. Professor Brandt will give the Rossi Prize lecture at the 229th AAS meeting, to be held in January 2017 in Grapevine, TX.
- The results of the elections to the HEAD Executive Committee are as follows: Dr. Rob Petre is the new Vice-Chair; Dr. Mike Corcoran the Secretary; Dr. Keith Arnaud the Treasurer; Professors Niel Brandt and Laura Lopez were elected as members of the Executive Committee. The new Chair is Professor Chris Reynolds and the past-Chair Dr Nick White.
- Have a picture relevant to high-energy astrophysics you'd like to see on the HEAD page? Contact the webmaster to submit with an image and short description.
- Upcoming HEA Meetings